Longiano is located in the Valley of the Rubicone on the first hills in the territory between Cesena and Rimini, in Emilia Romagna, a few km away from the Via Emilia. The old town centre of Longiano, a well preserved hamlet of medieval origins surrounded by double city walls, offers various historical and artistic evidence, with lots of places to discover and rediscover.
Its origins probably date back to a period of time between the VII and VIII century, when the population of the area moved from the plain to the hill, to take shelter from Langobard raids. Longiano reached its greatest rise in popularity when it became the residence of Malatesta family. Subsequently it belonged to the Papal State, and it was also a Venetian dominion for a short time as the monumental tub in the courtyard of the Castello shows. In 1790 it went under Napoleon's sovereignty as the whole Romagna. During World War II Longiano, not so far from the Gothic Line, suffered numerous damages due to the bombing by the Allies: what remains as the evidence is the Rifugio Bellico, that partly crosses the old town centre.
First of all, you should visit the Castello Malatestiano, and also the treasures of the Fondazione Balestra that are guarded there: an authentic collection of works by the greatest artists of the Novecento Italiano, like Guttuso, Maccari, Morandi, De Pisis, Vespignani and a small and precious selection of works by foreign artists like Chagall, Goya, Matisse, Kokoschka and others. The visit continues during four other authentic museums, that show the city's care for culture and art: the Museo Italiano della Ghisa, that exhibits elements of urban decor made between 1800 and 1900 and restored by Neri SPA company; the Museo del Territorio, that collects tools from ancient crafts and evidence of the farming world; the Museo d'Arte Sacra, that inside the exquisite Baroque Oratorio di San Giuseppe collects numerous artworks, vestments, relics and sacred decors; and finally the Galleria delle Maschere della Commedia dell’Arte inside the rooms of the former Convento di San Girolamo, with bronze sculptures made by the artist Domenico Neri. The Rifugio Bellico, a tunnel dug from a rock, that crosses the Old Town centre from Via Porta del Ponte to Via Santa Chiara, is the evidence of the dramatic days of the Front passing and the bombing that also heavily affected Longiano during World War II. The Teatro Petrella is a nineteenth-century jewel, a typical example of an Italian theatre, finely decorated and characterised by an extraordinary acoustics and by a still very lively artistic activity. You can also visit interesting historical churches: the Santurario del SS Crocifisso, that guards a wooden crucifix of the XIII century by an anonymous artist of Giunta Pisano's school, and the Collegiata di San Cristoforo, with masterpieces from 1600 and 1700.
The hamlet rises in a generous territory that offers numerous typical products: from honey to the greatest wines of the Romagna area like Sangiovese and Trebbiano, or even to a scented extra virgin olive oil. Many companies offer the possibility to taste their products on the spot and it also possible to visit the ancient mill Turchi di Balignano. Also, numerous fruit trees colour the countryside during spring: cherry-trees, plum trees, apricot and the DOP nectarine peach. The culinary specialties of Longiano's cuisine are the simple and the tasty ones of the Romagna. Among the fist courses we can find cappelletti, passatelli, tagliatelle al ragù, lasagne, strozzapreti and “puntarine” (a type of pasta). While among the second courses, in addition to the classic piadina romagnola, you can try the rabbit with roasted potatoes, grilled wether, game, meat and cold cuts from "Mora romagnola" and refined pork meat.