Pontechianale (Pontcianal in Piedmont dialect, Pont and Chanal in occitan) is a scattered municipality of just 180 inhabitants. This is the highest village of Varaita Valley, at the border with France. In reality there is no country of Pontechianale in itself, because the town is formed by a set of fractions, none of which has this name: Maddalena (capital, seat of the town hall), Villaretto, Castle, Rueites, Forest, Church, Genzana and Chianale. From 1942, in the territory of the municipality of Pontechianale, rises a dam (fraction of Castello), which permits the formation of a lake, much frequented by tourists in summer. Precisely in order to allow the construction of the dam in the forties was completely evacuated and submerged the fraction Church of Pontechianale, that stood where there is now the lake. All the houses of this fraction, together with the parish church itself (San Pietro in Vincoli) and the cemetery were reconstructed in another location in the same commune, which summed up the name of the fraction Church. Some remains of houses are still visible on the bottom of the lake, in the lean periods. Until a few years ago it was possible to see emerge even the bell tower of the old church, subsequently collapsed. In the territory of the municipality is located in the forest of the Alevè, the largest forest of Swiss pines of Europe. In Chianale is open from 2009, in the eighteenth century local of the Mission of the Cappuccini, the Costume Museum and crafts textile, which houses a rich collection of traditional costumes. Develops on the two banks of the Varaita and there you will find the church of Sant'Antonio and the most recent parish church of San Lorenzo.