The village of Sesto al Reghena is located in Friuli Venezia Giulia. Its name derives, besides the river Reghena, also from its dislocation to the sixth milestone along that passage. It was born in 2 a.C. as a bun and is called Sextus since it is six miles from Iulia Concordia. In these years a temple was built in honor of the god Mars and the goddess Vesta, located in the present abbey crypt. In 1960, during a restoration under the floors of the present sacristy and chapel, the remains of a Roman domus were found. There are many elements attesting to the profound connection with the Roman-imperial world, according to the commentary of Marco Antonio Sabellico, a historical Renaissance, who in his "De Vetustate Aquileiensis Patriae" writes of the presence of a Nero marble bust, datable at the time of his Emperor charge (54-68).
Known especially for the Abbey of Santa Maria in Silvis founded in 730-735, it belonged to the Benedictines from 762. In 899 the Hungarians ruined it, but the abbey resources in the tenth century and was fortified. It is historically established that Ecelo II, Monaco, of the Ezzelini family, contested in 1182 the properties of the monks of the Sesto al Reghena monastery. On April 24, 1198 Pope Innocent III commissioned Pellegrino, Patriarch of Aquileia, to mediate and settle the dispute between the two contenders after Ecelo had been absolved of the excommunication issued by the Patriarch of Grado. Sixth to Reghena was one of the places affected by the many properties that saw the various components of Ezzelini's family protagonists. Properties that were certosyncly ascertained, censored and documented after their definitive defeat in 1260. From 1441 to 1786 he was commended and returned to be abbey in 1921.
The abbey church took shape between the 12th and 13th centuries, to be substantially restored in the 15th century. Another noteworthy spot is the Venchieredo Fountain. It is one of the most important places for the history of the Friuli Venezia Giulia literature. The writer Ippolito Nievo set in this countryside a few pages of his most famous book, "The Confessions of an Italian."