The name Correggio (Curèš in the dialect corrigese, Curèz in the dialect of Reggio) derives from the Latin corrigia or corrigium, which means "strip of leather" with an extension of the meaning to "strip of land between marshes" or "strip of land between the waters". The first to inhabit the territory were probably the Celts or the Ligurians, between the VI and V century BC, before the Etruscans and finally the Romans, although it was not born as a Roman municipality. The current village was clearly born under the Longobardia and the toponym Corrigia appeared in fact for the first time in 946 AD.
From 1009 to 1635 the Lordship of Correggio developed. In 1452, when by then his lords had had to resign themselves to the ancestral territories and were therefore primarily interested in strengthening themselves juridically and diplomatically in them, Emperor Federico III recognized the title of Conti from Correggio, also delimited the lands and boundaries of the Committee by submitting it directly to the Empire. Then began the period, lasting about a century, of greater fortune of the city and its Lords. The center of attraction of the political and social life of the County was represented by the Court, which was the seat of diplomatic and cultural activity of great importance. There were guests Ludovico il Moro, Ariosto, Bembo, il Molza, Bernardo Tasso, and many others among the most important artists and lords of the time. The same local representatives of politics and culture were of the highest level: Nicolò il Postumo, Veronica Gambara, Rinaldo Corso, Claudio Merulo and, above all, Antonio Allegri.
On May 16, 1559, Emperor Ferdinand I of Hapsburg raised Correggio to the rank of City, conferring, at the same time, the privilege of beating money and maintaining a Catalog of the city's nobility. In 1616 it was built in Principato. In 1635 Prince Siro da Correggio was accused of beating false money and therefore was deprived of its territories, which were annexed, a few years later (1641, confirmed in 1659), in the Duchy of Modena and Reggio.