The medieval hamlet of Montemerano was commissioned during the XIII century by the Aldobrandeschi family on the highest part of the hill, surrounded by the countryside, along the road that from Manciano leads to Saturnia. The square of the castle is very scenic and perfectly intact in its medieval attitude and the houses made of stone. Its threshold is constituted by an arch which opens at the end of a short and steep slope. Also beautiful is the Church of San Giorgio, a jewel of Romanesque art which preserves an exceptional collection of artworks of the Renaissance. In the interior of the Church the famous "Madonna della Gattaiola" is exposed, painted around 1450 by an artist from the school of Sassetta, nicknamed Master of Montemerano. The work has got a hole at the bottom and the legend tells that it was made by a parish priest who, by using the table as a door of a warehouse where it was stored food in abundance, contributed the hole to allow the cat to pass, a true controller and bitter enemy of the mice. We advise you not to miss the taste of one of the most typical dishes of the place: the tripe of Montemerano. Its particularity is that is flavored with a mix of nutmeg, corn, cinnamon, cloves and fresh thyme, and served with zolfini beans, or with tomatoes.