the historic center of Vieri sul mare extends itself on the hills near the coast and on the slopes of it extends the area called Marina, hamlet directly located on the sea. Historically is identified with the ancient Marcina, coastal settlement first Etruscan-sannita, then Roman port. Its history until 1806 has been associated with that of Cava de' Tirreni referred was fraction. Marina di Vietri was indeed used by the monks of the Abbey as a trading port for trade especially with the areas to the south of Salerno, those of the Plain of the Sele. In 1944, when Salerno was the capital of Italy for a few months, the King Vittorio Emanuele III lodged in the nearby Villa Guariglia, situated in the hamlet of Raito.
Certainly deserve a visit to the hamlet of Albori, one of the most beautiful villages of Italy, the Ceramics Museum site in the locality of Raito and the Parish Church of Saint John the Baptist, patron saint of the village.
At Marina di Vietri existed the master carpenters, craftsmen able to cut and shape the wood needed to make the ordinate, the frameworks of cianciole, boats used for fishing. Another type of boat was the gozzo. The craftsmen put in shape the bows dosing and the length on the basis of the average distance between the crests of the corrugations and the type of the sea. The gozzo of Vietri was different from the Ligurian type.
Another strong influence has been those of the Tuscan of which there was a strong migration toward Vietri when was installed Glassware Ricciardi, then Saint Gobain, today abandoned. And other influences still was given by the Germans that after the landing of the allies, decided to remain at Vietri that loved for its mild climate. They were very good in chemistry and, as such, invented the colors for the ceramic tiles that are classified as unrepeatable, which the yellow of Vietri. Still live in Vietri children or descendants of these people. And again are to consider the influence on society of ceramic art and transport with the carts. The ceramists bravi were those who worked with the ceramics of Solimene and Pinto. Now there are few who know how to do the ciucciariello of Vietri. The ciucciariello, the donkey was used as a means of transportation of people and goods between Vietri and fractions high.
Just beyond the fraction of Molina, on the road to Cava de' Tirreni, there was a workshop where they were the wheels of the carts, you forgiava iron to coat the wheels, were the brakes, said "Pezzotti of hammer". The cleverness in iron work appeared, even if in a less evident with respect to the agro Nocerino-Sarnese, when the Belgians organized the first transport on rails (trams that linked Salerno with Vietri) and then with the filovie.
The ceramics industry was begun in the late Renaissance thanks to the Sanseverino princes and since then has always been a symbol of Vietri sul Mare.