The village of Laveno (Lavén in dialect varesotto) is one of the major ports of the Lake Maggiore. In addition to the marina there is a pier from which depart all year round ferries with the transport of cars for Verbania-Intra. The center of the village is located in a wide natural cove on the ends of which there are two forts. On the hill north is the strong Garibaldian, surrounded by a park.
The name Laveno derives from that of the Roman commander Tito Labieno, that here was his camp and that on the hill of Mombello had a clash with the Gauls; from here come also the name Mombello, Battle Hill in Latin (mons belli).
In medieval times it was a village inhabited by fishermen. The most important noble families linked to Laveno were the Visconti and Borromeo, to which the territory was enfeoffed, Tinelli of Gorla, the Guilizzoni accounts and the Sessa de Ceresolo, masters of Ceresolo fraction in Cerro. From the nineteenth century onwards it hosted the famous factories of the ceramics, among the largest in Europe. In the hamlet of Cerro, lakeside inside the Palazzo Guilizzoni-Perabò, is located the International Museum of Ceramic design (MIDC)
The town of Laveno Mombello was created in 1927 from the merger of the municipalities of Cerro Maggiore Lake, and Laveno Mombello Lago Maggiore.
Certainly deserve a visit the crib submerged in front of Piazza Caduti of work on the lakeside of the village is the church of S. Mary in Ca' Deserta, the Church of the Saints Philip and James and the Hermitage of Santa Caterina del Sasso, near the village of Leggiuno, reachable from Laveno via the scenic trail Santa Caterina's ring.