The current inhabited center of Cerenzia rose in the second half of the nineteenth century, when the cerentinesi moved to malaria more to the west with respect to the old fortress, Akerentia (also called Acheronthia or Acerenthia), a time seat of the diocese, with a clear reference to the river Acheron (or Akeronte), the ancient name of the injured, that runs at the foot of the cliff.
When many countries of the district were simple "Casali" Acerenthia, was an important and glorious Byzantine city. On the plateau where once stood the ancient center, are still evident traces of a substantial conurbation, among which, in particular, a sacred building largely conserved and, in an eminent position, the bodied remains of a structure more elaborate identified as the Bishopric.
Acerenthia, Acherontia or Geruntia. On his behalf and on its origins legend and history are confused, giving it a particular charm of mystery. Founded according to some by Enotri, according to others by the mythical Philoctetes, the city was surrounded by high walls natural and dominated, as well as still dominates the valley of the river injured, a time maybe named Acheron, from which it derives the etymology.
Continuous yielding of the masonry structures, difficulties in the supply of drinking water, malaria and earthquakes, forced the inhabitants to a progressive exodus, that around the middle of 1800 culminated with the definitive abandonment and the transfer in the current site. Despite the abandonment, the ratio of the inhabitants with their ancient city has never been interrupted. The visit to the ruins of the dead city is an ongoing pilgrimage, that on the occasion of the feast of the Ecce Homo, becomes a real procession around the village.