Colfosco (Calfosch in Ladin, Kolfuschg in German) is the inhabited village higher of Alta Badia and is a tourist center well equipped, which is located in the heart of the Dolomites. The two small villages of Corvara and Colfosco had stories clearly distinct and have done part of even different territories. Although the two towns have developed one next to the other, there are considerable differences in their history.
Colfosco appears for the first time in a document of the year 1153, from which it emerges that the count of Sabiona bought Colfosco by the abbot of San Candido, and the locality at the time seems to have been only a pasture on which the peasants of Laion and Val Gardena facilitated their herds to graze. With the passing of time gi dwellers seasonal first, then began slowly to settle and remain even in winter, and no longer only in summer. The first Masi di Colfosco were, as was the custom of the historical moment, the property of the noble families.
While in Corvara you have historical news only from 1292, and belonged to the time to the ancient lordship of the Val Badia, and belonged to the jurisdiction of Marebbe, Colfosco instead it has trace certain already a century and a half before precisely from the year 1153, and the town was part since 1296 the jurisdiction of Selva di Val Gardena, beyond that of the bishopric of Bressanone, and was annexd to the Val Badia only in the year 1828.
Given that was part of the parish of Laion, people of Colfosco went to Mass in the parish church of the latter village and carried there its dead for burial, and path passed for Puez, Val Long and Gardena, whereby ecclesiasticamente, Colfosco is belonged first to the parish church of Lajen, then to Curazia of Santa Cristina in Val Gardena.
In the summer it is the starting point for many walks and vie ferrate; instead, during the winter, offers numerous trails for all the difficulties with the connection with the rest of the valley and with the neighboring valleys, being included in the circuit of the Sellaronda.
Both Corvara and Colfosco have acquired international fame in the XIX and XX century, when they began to be appreciated for the skiing and hiking.
In 1947 was completed and tested the first chairlift of Italy precisely in Corvara, that connected the inhabited area to Col Alto, starting a process of intensification of the tourist industry and skiing that has seen a particular increase in the seventies, creating many jobs for the local population and also for people who came from other regions.