The origins of Bomarzo are still shrouded in mystery. Probably founded by the mysterious and unknown peoples, as Asians Meoni or Rinaldoniani, sources testify that the territory was densely inhabited first by the Etruscans and later by the Romans, who conquered it around the V century. C. and ne ascrissero population to Arniense tribe. In the witness of those times remain even today many tangible evidence in the area bomarzese: the Etruscan Pyramid, the cut and the necropolis and the ruins of a Roman aqueduct, furnaces of the Volumnis.
Part of the Roman Empire until its fall, Bomarzo was below the straight line by its bishops until the abolition of the diocese which took place in the XI century. During this time he was repeatedly invaded: first by the army of King Totila during the Gothic War (535 552), followed by the Longobards of Alboin, between 569 and 590. The latest invasion was in 739 by the hand of the King Liutprando, that the subtracted to Roman Duchy together with Ameria (Amelia), Orte and Blera. Below Bomarzo was always an integral part of the Papal State, and in particular of the Delegation of Viterbo, which belonged until 1866.
During the centuries, however, the town passed several times to hand: sold by a certain Uffreduccio Risio to the town of Viterbo in 1298, was then supportive to the Orsini, who kept it until 1646. After this date, the Duke of Bomarzo Marzio Orsini (1618-1674) sold the fief to Ippolito Montefeltro Lante della Rovere (1618-1688), whose family owned it until 1837, when Duke Giulio (1789-1873) sold it to the Borghese. After the Third War of Independence, in 1866 Bomarzo was annexd to the Reign of Italy.
Certainly deserve a visit to the famous park of Monsters, also known as Sacro Bosco, Orsini Palace and the Church of Santa Maria Assunta in Cielo. The village is divided into five districts that you compete every year, on 25 April, the Palio di Bomarzo: inside, Borgo, Poggio, crosses and Madonna of the plan. Recently an institution is the Torneo dei Rioni, competition of football to five.
Near the village of Bomarzo lies the small village of Mugnano, a small town located on a tufaceous spur characterized by the imposing tower of the Orsini.