The seat of the Community district Wipptal (already Alta Valle Isarco) and situated at 950 m above sea level, is dominated by the Monte Cavallo (Rosskopf, 2.176 m) West, Cima Gallina (Hühnerspiel, 2.800 m) north-east and top of Stilves (2.422 m) to the south. On the slopes of Monte Cavallo you are the lifts of the ski area of the country, which can be reached in just a few minutes from the center. In addition to the normal ski facilities, is also one of the longest toboggan runs in South Tyrol, long little more than 10 km. In the summer it is possible to make excursions on foot and by bicycle on the surrounding mountains. Of Roman origin remain a few things like a cippus milestone of Septimius Severus, in which however does not appear in the name of the city. The assonante Uuipitina instead is attested in a document of 827. In a medieval map, copy of an ancient Roman street plan, Vipitenum appears. The first roman settlement could date back to 14 B.C., when on a communication route between Italy and the countries beyond the Alps, Drusus the greater founded a military station with the name of "Vipitenum". Of the Roman period are the sepulchral monument to Postumia Victorina and a cippus with mitriaco bas-relief. In 550, after an invasion of the Bavarians, developed the village of Vipiteno, but only in 1180 it has the first mention of "Stercengum". There is a legend that tells of Störz one cripple pellegrino which the first inhabitant of the modern city, which even now remains in the city emblem under the wings of the tyrolean eagle. In reality this figure in the coat of arms could also suggest to three hospices that the country had in the past. Vipiteno knew its maximum splendour in the XV and XVI century especially after the fire, that in 1443, damaged part of the city. Were reconstructed buildings embattled, some late gothic, in New Town, which still decorate the main street. The toponym italiano Vipiteno resumes the ancient Latin name of the alleged Roman camp of Vibidína and is attested as Uuipitina in 827, connected with perhaps the name of Etruscan person *Vipina and with the vallis Vipitina (Alta Valle Isarco) become in German Wipptal. The toponym german, instead, is attested as Sterzengum from 1180 and derives from the name of person Starzo Germanic, with the meaning then "land of Starzo". Since then the village was known to Italian merchants as Sterzen (fact recognized by the same Tolomei) or Sterzinga. Do not miss the visit of the parish church "Madonna della Palude" (Unsere liebe Frau im Moos), located just outside the city. It is the Church more high between Munich and Verona; measure 32 meters in height, the nave is 38 meters long and 23 meters wide. Other suggestions will affect visitors admiring the Tower of the twelve (Zwölferturm), which has become the symbol of the city, which divides the town New (Neustadt) from the Old Town (Altstadt). Completed in 1472, is high 46 m. The Palazzo del Municipio, instead, in late gothic style, was purchased by the city in 1468 and then in 1526 it was restored and enriched by the characteristic "Erker". On the ground floor was made a tour of bread and on the back that of meat. On the upper floors the offices, the Council Hall, still one of the most beautiful in the Alto Adige, and a ballroom. Finally, inside the ancient commendam of the Teutonic Order (the Deutschhaus), located near the Parish Church, you can visit: the Civic Museum Multscher, the Church of Saint Elizabeth, the Musical Institute and the seat of the Bürgerkapelle Sterzing (musical band Vipiteno). The Museum exhibits a collection of maps of epoch, historical documents about the town and old prints of landscapes citizens; a section is dedicated to the local handicraft. The Multscher Museum preserves the projects and the valuable tables of the gothic altar, built by Hans Multscher for the Parish Church. Do not miss the events more traditional methods such as the parade along the streets of the center of the krampus (devils in mask), on the occasion of San Nicolò (on the evening of 5 December), the Christmas Market, the festival of canederli, the festival of yoghurt and the historical Festival (Sterzinger Osterspiele), which is held every year at the close of the Passover.