Fiè allo Sciliar (Völs am Schlern in German) is attested in the 888 as Fellis, in 982-987 as Vellis, in 1050-1065 as Velles, in 1218 as Velse and in 1255 as Vels and is probably of pre-Roman origin. The place enters in the full light of history with a significant donation in the 888 by the king franco Arnolfo of Carinthia.
The main village is Fiè below, an idyllic village at the foot of the Sciliar. In the nineteenth century Fiè was a town famous for the care of hay which was visited by the citizens of Bolzano for their summer holidays. The village offers many attractions and countless ways to spend your free time with sports and recreational activities during every season.
One of the most famous and popular monuments of the area of the Sciliar is the Castle of Prelate, overlooking the mountain village. Still today, the castle of the lords of Fiè, is a meeting place for cultural events, concerts of classical music, art exhibitions and theater performances. The high annual light is the horse riding tournament "Oswald von Wolkenstein", which takes place in the park of the castle.
Already from generations to Fiè allo Sciliar there are ancient traditions and old customs. During the traditional "Ostereierpecken" on the village square, the premises and guests meet and socialize with one another by eating the bread of Easter and drinking of wine.
A tradition very special to Fiè allo Sciliar is the hay bath. This bath, also called "Alpenbadl", has a beneficial effect and greet on body, known for more than 100 years. At that time the peasants were sleeping on the hay of alpine meadow just dried and svegliavano rested and full of energy to continue their hard work. Since 1890 Fiè allo Sciliar offers hay baths as wellness treatment exceptional.
In the context of natural weeks of food and of "Dispensa di Fiè", local businesses serve South Tyrolean specialities. Even during the annual "Törggelen", in autumn months, several companies invite you to enjoy the culinary specialities from South Tyrol.