The origins of the village of Città Sant'Angelo are still very uncertain. Probably the first to create a settlement on the hill were the Vestini, but the first official act only dates back to the 875, where you remember the presence of a castle and a port. Around 400 arose the first churches in the area between Città Sant'Angelo and Atri. The village vestino-Roman, that would have been located in the nearby hill of salt, it was probably destroyed in the high Middle Ages; the Lombards would have rebuilt the country ex novo in today's location, leaving, as traces of their presence, the cult of the Angel. Testimonies of this cult are present both in the toponym, both in the municipal coat of arms, which represents, in fact, San Michele Arcangelo that kills the dragon.
Urban development followed three different historical moments: reconstruction begun after the 1240, of the fortified nucleus in a semicircle, delimited currently from Road Castle Street, Minerva, Via del Ghetto and Via del Grottone. The names most pompous were those of Zizza and Solomon that coated always primary roles within the Community in Angola of the Ancien Régime. With the coming of the monastic orders in the first half of the fourteenth century saw the enlargement of existing churches and the realization of monasteries. In the XVII century concludes actual reconstruction with the completion of houses and palaces of the nobility of the agrarian bourgeoisie. This is the reason for the current plant "molten". It was in fact constituted, gradually, through subsequent expansions and aggregations of settlements claims, up to form a strong urban clot causing the accommodation in the historical center as well as still today we see him. Said plant is crossed by a long course, intersected by a series of small streets and alleys closed, denominated in local dialect 'li ruve', within the walls and with the doors partially conserved.
Between 1300 and 1700, Città Sant'Angelo, despite numerous attacks from the French and Spaniards, experienced a period of splendour. In the treaty of Aachen in 1748 the town passed definitively under the Kingdom of Naples until the Unity of Italy. In March 1814 Città Sant'Angelo, together with the municipalities of pens, Castiglione Messer Raimondo and Penna Sant'Andrea was the protagonists of the first uprisings of the Carbonarist movement of the Italian Risorgimento.
Memories latest tell the sad history of the second world war when in April 1940 the Ministry of the Interior inquadrò and leased the stable of the former Manifattura Tabacchi, in the historical center of the city, for adibirlo to single concentration camp in the province of Pescara with 200 beds where they were imprisoned men for the most part of Yugoslav nationality. The field remained active until April 1944. Currently in addition to being a "place of memory" permanently hosts the Museum laboratory of Contemporary Art.
The hills that surround the town of Città Sant'Angelo are covered with vineyards and olive groves that offer excellent products, in particular the wine Montepulciano d Abruzzo. The regional culinary tradition also offers typical products from Abruzzi like the maccheroni alla chitarra, pasta alla mugnaia, the unmissable arrosticini (skewers of sheep), cace e ove (literally cheese and eggs with lamb meat), the neole, cagionetti and the fiadone.