The village of Pereta was built by the Aldobrandeschi between the X and XI century, becoming an important military center place to guard a passage forced road that connected the coast with the mountains. However, by the archaeological discoveries that occurred around the village, it would seem that life there were held already in Etruscan and Roman times. Memory more ancient remains a notarial act dated 8 August 1032. Although linked to the political and military events of the Aldobrandeschi, Pereta was never to their direct dependencies. In fact in 1203 we find the village under the power of a certain Messer Francesco, although the Count Ildebrandino VIII it regained possession. Yet, in a papal bull of 1216 shows that the legacies on Pereta, the church of San Bruzio in Magliano, olive grove and a farmhouse on the OAS, are reconfirmed by Pope Honorius III to the abbey of Sant Antimo di Montalcino.
In 1238 the Sienese army takes assault this castle together with that of Collecchio, Magliano and Montiano, thus occupying the coastal, point base for launching the last decisive attack at Sovana, headquarters of the accounts. However in 1274, after years of various struggles, these feuds are retrieved from the Aldobrandeschi and, in the historical division of that same year, Pereta passes under the possession of the Count Ildebrandino di Santa Fiora. These last years of the XIII century concludes with the vicissitudes of the countess Margherita and Nello Pannocchieschi that, between 1220 and 1225 approximately, lived in this place. With the beginning of the XIV century, the decline of the Aldobrandeschi is increasingly assuming series size and although many castles are still under their domains, these are for the most part governed freely from noble families forestiere. This is the case of Pereta, that already at the beginning of this new century is in possession of the Conte di Donoratico. In recent years that followed was found the castle without government, becoming an easy prey for the brigands and predators.
In 1377 the feud of Pereta was owned by Papalini that there remained a large troop of Bretons, which scorrazzavano predavano and throughout the Maremma and, after having plundered the castle, the abandoned in ruins. With the domination of Siena is concluded the cycle of the many military events from which Pereta went out into ruin and serious economic difficulties. However, the Republic of Siena sought to provide for the recovering of the fund, the urban center was enriched with new public and private buildings, the Sienese artists embellished churches and palazzos but especially was surrounded with new walls that went to embrace all those structures fate to say outside the ancient borgo, enlarging and thus enhancing the ancient Castrum aldobrandesco. Passed under the dominion of Doctors with new sorts Pereta is reconfirmed in the Podesteria and remains so until, in the nineteenth century, will be aggregated to the new town of Magliano.
Certainly deserve a visit to the Church of San Giovanni Battista and the Parish Church of Santa Maria Assunta.