Known to have conferred the title to the Morellino di Scansano, red wine DOCG wines produced in the area, the territory of the village was already inhabited in the times of the Etruscans and the Romans, as witnessed by the settlements of Ghiaccio Forte, Aia Nova and Scrina di Porco.
The first news of the medieval town center dates back to 918, when appointed a certain Mustia curtis, identifiable with the fraction of Murci. In the territory scansanese arose in the course of the middle ages many castles of great strategic importance, as Montorgiali, Cotone and Montepò, while the castle of Scansano, certificate in 1274, was contested in the XIV century between the Aldobrandeschi Counts and the Tolomei of Siena. In 1418 Scansano was inherited by the Sforza, together with the entire county of Santa Fiora in which it was incorporated as a result of the marriage between Bosio Sforza and Cecilia Aldobrandeschi. In the first years of the XVI century Scansano grew in importance increasingly, up to become one of the main centers of the Maremma, increasing population and increasing its urban area. In 1615, the Counts of Santa Fiora the sold to Cosimo II de' Medici and in the course of the next century the territories scansanesi knew a further economic improvement. Its importance grew even more when, after 1780, was regulated the estatatura, which raised Scansano to vice-provincial capital of the province of Grosseto, with the displacement of the public offices in summer for the risk of malaria. Very active in the course of the Risorgimento - with the passage of the Garibaldi Zambianchi column - and of the resistance in the period after the second world war - with the figure of Luigi Canzanelli - Scansano is today a locality known throughout Italy for the production of the Morellino, DOCG wine of the province of Grosseto.
The village and its surroundings are rich in places of interest such as the numerous castles present in its surroundings, the sanctuary of San Giorgio, the archaeological area of strong ice, the ethnographic museum of the wine and the archaeological museum.