Tavarnelle Val di Pesa is located in the historical region of Chianti in Tuscany. Its territory is located on horseback between the Val di Pesa and Val d'Elsa. The toponym Tavarnelle derives from tabernulae and would seem to indicate the village as a place of stage on one of the minor roads that linked the Via Francigena to Via Volterrana. The presence of a place of refreshment is confirmed by the cadastral register in 1427, while it appears that in 1454 such a Giulio of Francesco del Riccio - Baldi was the owner of a house with a tavern attached call Osteria del Lyon. Since the second half of the nineteenth century is active a stop of the governmental postiglioni on the strada regia romana that linked Florence with Rome. The village of Tavarnelle was never equipped with fortifications and stable with time you arrived to the fusion with the various neighboring villages as Il Borghetto, seat of the franciscan convent and Mocale placed on the road toward Marcialla.
The development of Tavarnelle occurred only in the nineteenth century thanks to the displacement toward his village of road toward Rome. In fact in the XVIII century it was made under the Poggio of factory a masonry bridge for the passage on the Pesa, passage that first occurred at Ford and that therefore brought travelers to pass the weighs on the stone bridge of Sambuca and then from there reach Siena via San Donato excluding the future capital. In addition to the road development was favored by the agriculture so that by 1822 was established the weekly market on the day of Thursday. In 1944 the passage of the front of the second world war led to numerous damage to the town in fact the municipal palace was completely destroyed. Tavarnelle Val di Pesa was released on 23 July 1944 by three companies of the Maori Battalion of the army of New Zealand. There followed a quick reconstruction and today the village of Tavarnelle is fairly undifferentiated except along the main street where there are numerous palazzotti six - eighteenth century some interest. Toward the end of the XX century the country has experienced a major urban development favored by the great location place com is between Florence and Siena.