The village of Caramanico Terme, in Abruzzo, stands at the foot of Majella. According to a legend, the name of the village derives from a French monk, named Caro, lived around the X century, but more probably takes origin from the Longobard settlement of Arimannia.
The presence of human settlements in the territory dates back to the Paleolithic period. In the Chronicon Casauriense (from here the reference to the monk Caro) displays "putrid waters", the first reference to the presence of sulfurous waters in the area. The history of Caramanico follows, then, the vicissitudes of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, as family feud of D'Aquino's family. Since 1960 takes the name of Caramanico Terme and begins a quick touristic development, linked to the thermal source. The sulfurous sources were used already in 1576, but the thermal structure was built only in 1836: a rudimentary shed along the river. In 1901 was inaugurated the real spa and medical complex.
The local traditions of the village of Caramanico Terme follow both the seasonality of rural practices (agriculture and breeding), than the liturgical one, which is also connected to the natural cycles through devotions, guards and blessings.
The spa activity is the main attraction of the town, enriched by a plenty program of exhibitions and events.