The village of Triora is located in the Argentina Valley, in Liguria. It originated in Roman times, from the tribe of the Ligurian Montani, who submitted themselves to the Roman Empire after long struggles in the territory. Later it became a possession of Count Badalucco (politically dependent on the accounts of Ventimiglia), around the twelfth century, and began to establish alliances with neighboring villages and villages, especially those closest to the expansionist policy of the Republic of Genoa. The close political proximity with Genoa led to the passage of Triora as a new feud of the Genoese Republic in an act of 4 March 1261, which was then signed on 8 November 1267. The transfer of property greatly benefited the country and the village - especially for the many concessions offered by the Genoan capital, including the free capital punishment - so as to become the commonplace of the new podesteria including the villages - now commonly used for all - of Molini of Triora, Montalto Ligure, Badalucco, Castel Vittorio, Ceriana and Baiardo. The creation of new walls and the erection of five defensive castles created a sort of fortified, almost inexpressible nucleus, which put the troops of Emperor Charles IV in the tenth conquest of the village tough. In spite of the disagreements created, the population responded positively to war calls, especially in the famous Battle of Meloria of 1284, where Triora and his podesteria sent in the naval battle against Pisa about two hundred and fifty whippers in support of Genoa.
After a period of peace from the 15th to the 16th century, where churches and other works of art were built, Triora's local history testifies to the famous witchcraft of 1587 to 1589. Some local women were accused of being the artifacts of the pestilences, acid rain, killing livestock and even cannibalism towards children in bands. Condemnations for alleged witchcraft caused the death of several girls and even a boy. Even today the country is known for its witches (or presumptions) that subsequently triggered similar reactions in other Ligurian and Italian villages.
In 1625 the Piedmontese army of the Duchy of Savoy sought in vain the conquest of the village, which defended its lands unambiguously, unlike other neighboring countries that - given to the flames - surrendered to the Savoy. In the course of the 20th century, Triora's history suffered, according to some, for continued clashes between directors, considerable governmental controversies, especially in the municipal territory, also following the establishment of the Molini di Triora in 1903. The Second World War contributed drastically to the collapse of the commune, where Nazi fury fluttered furiously on July 2 and 3, 1944. The village was burned down and broke into the entire quarters of the city, causing its sudden depopulation.
The village is characterized by the typical medieval urban structure common to other stone villages in the Ligurian hinterland. The peculiarity lies above all in the ancient part of the village, a collection of alleyways and stone houses lying just below the highest part of the borough, as if it were buried. Here you can see very ancient structures, such as an old storeroom for the preservation of salt or votive nicchiette at fountains and washbasins. The atmosphere that pervades the village is strongly suggestive, especially on a daunting day.
They are worth a visit to Triora Castle and the Regional Ethnographic Museum and Witchcraft.
The village of Triora is also famous for the excellence of some typical gastromy products, first of all the Bread of Triora, traditional local bread, cooked in low shapes and wide weights of about 850 grams. Other excellence is the Alporia cheese from Triora and Bruss, a traditional milk derivative similar to a creamy cheese that can be spread very strongly.