Fenestrelle (Fenestrele in Piedmont, Finistrelas or Fenetrèlla in Occitan) is located in the middle of Val Chisone, in Piedmont. In a basin dominated by Mount Orsiera and Mount Albergian, it has always been a strategic knot for the political and military control of the entire valley. During the Roman era, Fenestrelle belonged to the border area of King Cozio's kingdom and was called Finis Terrae Cotii ("the border of Coty land"), which is the name of today. It belonged to the Marchesato of Susa, to the committee of Turin and to the abbots of Pinerolo in the medieval period. It was hospitable to Waldensian communities until the revocation of the Nantes Edict. It is recalled that until the 17th century, the population of the Puy township was entirely Waldensian. Throughout the centuries Fenestrelle's history was often linked to French domination. part of the Dolphin for many centuries. During this period, the Muti Fort was built and a Jesuit convent was established to restore the Catholic religion, which remains an octagonal bell tower.
With the Treaty of Utrecht (1713), along with the whole of Val Chisone, he passed definitively under the rule of the Savoy. In the 18th century it was fortified by Alessandro Vittorio Papacino. The Chisone Valley was controlled by the Savoy in 1713 following the peace of Utrecht and was soon subjected to important fortifications to block a possible French return. The construction of the Fenestrelle Fort complex (referred to as the "Great Piedmont Wall") falls within these actions. To prevent the enemy from acting on the forts of Exilles and Fenestrelle passing along the watershed between val Susa and the Chisone valley, it was decided, at the end of the 19th century, to build a series of works to preserve the hill of Assietta and of the Windows, linked together by a freighter and a number of numerous mule tracks. This square never had the baptism of fire, but it was equally important because of its "dissuasive" role.
They certainly deserve a visit to the Fort of Fenestrelle, the Parish Church of St. Louis IX.
We also remember the hamlet of Pracatinat, located at 1785 m. of altitude. Prà Catinat means Catinat lawn and is named after French General Nicolas de Catinat de La Fauconnerie, who has conducted various military raids in the Piedmont valleys. The general in the resort passed with 10,000 men of his troops in the winter of 1693-1694. The site was important because there was a sanatorium dedicated to Giovanni Agnelli for the treatment of tuberculosis. The sanatorium, built in 1929, consisted of two pavilions, one for male mothers and one for female mothers. Today, the two structures, which are no longer usable for therapeutic purposes since 1982, have become a Laboratory that designs and implements multiple educational, training, cultural and research activities. The location is particularly impressive from a hiking point of view. From here starts a dirt road that in about five miles leads to the shelter of Selleries. Near Pracatinat there is the famous Red Bridge, access to the Fort of the Valleys, the upper part of the great Fort of Fenestrelle. It should be remembered, however, that such access is usually closed because the Red Bridge is not safe and excursions to the Fortress of Fortress are always starting from the bottom (Fort St. Charles); Extraordinary opening of the bridge takes place in case of organized events.