The village of Compiano (Cumpiàn in parmesan dialect) is located in Val di Taro, Emilia Romagna. Small village completely surrounded by walls, closely tied to its castle. The etymology of the Compian name seems to derive from the Latin Cum Planum with the meaning of a flat field. Of medieval origin (IX century), it was the land of Malaspina until the 12th century when they gave possession of Compiano to the municipality of Piacenza which made it a feud of the Landi. Placed in a strategic position close to the territories of the republic of Genoa, it was considered a bastion to defend access to the upper valley of the Taro River, which is why it was often the center of territorial disputes until the fifteenth century was conquered by Filippo Maria Visconti which in turn gave it to Niccolò Piccinino. In the middle of the 16th century, Compiano became part of Spanish-controlled territories, elevated to the county rank by Charles V, who later returned to the Landes. Passed in 1626 to Doria became the possession of the Farnese inside the Duchy of Parma and Piacenza gradually losing importance. During the Second World War, in the summer of 1944, the area was Wallenstein's theater, a series of partisan raids carried out by Nazi-fascist forces.
The Church of St. John the Baptist and the famous Castle of Compiano, dating back to 1141, are worth a visit.