The village of Bevagna, in Umbria, was known for its precious paintings, so to be called "bevagne". The first historical news on Bevagna coincides with the Roman conquest of Umbria with the famous Battle of the Sentinel of 295 BC Bevagna, in fact, was known as the Umbrian itinerary center and for its pastoral and cattle breeding. It became the Roman Town Hall in the 90's. under the name of Mevania. It became an important agricultural and strategic center, thanks to its favorable position at the center of the great viability set by the Romans via Via Flaminia (220 BC), and its river port on the Topino (whose waters, in the Chiascio river and then in the Tiber). Such flourishing will last until the 3rd century AD. During this time it had a remarkable building development, in fact Mevania was equipped with a wall, a spa and an amphitheater, of which the vestiges still remain. With the advent of Christianity there are numerous martyrs, including San Vincenzo, the first bishop and patron of the country. The diocese of Bevagna was founded, historically attested in the lateral council of 487. With the fall of the Roman Empire, Bevagna is devastated by the barbarian invasions of the Lombards in the 6th century. After the conquest by the Francs, Bevagna is from the 1187 free right commune by Consoli, and is controversial among the alternate domination of Spoleto, Foligno, the Germanic Empire, Perugia and the Pontifical State. An important role for the history of the city and its territory is represented, as is the case with other municipalities in the Umbrian Valley, by the efforts and struggles for land reclamation and the regulation of numerous watercourses. Launched in 1456, the cleansing of the plain plain reaches concrete results in the second half of the fifteenth century, bringing benefits to the farmed agricultural economy, mainly focused on hemp cultivation and processing. It is with the '700 and, above all, during the 1800's, that the hydraulic system of this area starts to have a definite design. Leo XII in 1825 returned the title of the city.
Worth a visit to the fascinating Piazza Silvestri, where the main monuments of the city, including the Palazzo dei Consoli, the Church of San Michele and the church of San Silvestro.