Scapoli (Scapuli in Molisano) is a small village in Molise, famous all over the world to be the home of the bagpipe, an ancient wind instrument produced today by hand by scapular craftsmen. The origins of the village probably date back to the 9th century, as would be found in some texts, among which the "Chronicon Vulturnense", an ancient text written around 1130 by a monk of the abbey of St. Vincent and of the Volturno named Giovanni. The settlement of Scapoli was born on the land owned by the abbey by the monks who had been expelled from the Saracens by Castel San Vincenzo. Since its foundation, Scapoli was under the influence of several families of Franco-Roman origin, among whom in 1043 the family Borrello took over from the abbey the entire valley of Volturno. The country returned to the hands of the abbey thanks to the intervention of Pope Niccolò II and then to be again deprived of work by the Counts of the Martians. Subsequently, since 1200, it was in the hands of the Caldora and in 1382 the feud was sold to the Pandone. In the 16th century and until 1621 it was Bucciarelli and then sold to Innico di Grazia, Baron of Cerro al Volturno, until the Marquis Battiloro arrived.
During the Second World War he found himself on the famous "Gustav Line" created by the Germans to prevent the advancement of the allies. Most importantly, it was the constitution of Scapoli of the Italian Liberation Corps, the protagonist of bloody battles on the nearby Monte Marrone.
The typical dish is the Ravioli at Scapolese, which is nothing more than a large raviolo with a particular filling with a decided taste and intense flavor.