Fornesighe (Fornegiśe in Zoldo dialect) is located along the road to Passo Cibiana, in Dolomiti Bellunesi, in Veneto. The toponym clearly indicates the ancient presence of furnaces and fusine for machining of metals extracted from the mines of the nearby Val Inferna.
Set on a gentle slope exposed to the south, the small village has a wonderful panorama of the Dolomites on the Group of the Tamer San Sebastiano and on Spiz di Mezzodì, offshoots north of Dolomiti Bellunesi National Park. Perfectly preserves the architecture of a typical mountain of Zoldo. Among the noteworthy buildings, you recall the Bottega "Beretin" (with a mural by the local artist Bruno De Pellegrin), house Arnoldo "Camelin", casa Costantin "Duodi", Casa De Pellegrin gels, Mosena house, house Ros "Thoòt", casa Costantin "Ofiziai" and tabià Toldo-De Pellegrin.
The Church of San Vito
to this church you have news only from 1570 but certainly has more ancient. Starting from 1727, on the basis of a request from the regolieri of Fornesighe a decade earlier, the Church is gradually upgrading and enlarged by assuming the present appearance. From this period dates the altar, the work of John Paul Zampol Leg (1761 ca.).
located in the square in front of the Church, is today the seat of the Zoldan Piodech, cultural association that takes care of the valorisation of local folklore. The exterior is completely frescoed by Vico Calabrò, while the interiors are hosting an ethnographic museum that exposes tools for the processing of milk, masks of carnival (typical of the country is the gnaga) and an exhibition on the art of marquetry.
The word Piodek derives from the latin publicum plovegum that as in Zoldo means work performance in the collective interest. Widely practiced up to half of 1900, i.e. until there was a peasant reality, the piodech is then fell into disuse. It was however a conductor wire that continues in time and that it is still current in moments of natural disasters, as for example happened in 1966 on the occasion of the flood.