Volpedo (Volped in the local dialect), in Piedmont, is the native village of the painter Giuseppe Pellizza, author of the fourth state. Other areas of excellence are the cultivation of fishing and the fruit in general. The historical nucleus is set on a hill on the right bank of the stream, around which were built the walls of the castrum, which stretches toward the Torrent Curone, constitute a point of ford toward the opposite side.
A sepulchral stele testifies Roman presence already in the first century, even if the settlement probably dates back to the ancient Ligurian populations. The first written memory of the country is of 21 August 966, where it will appoint the pieve. During the X century the country is attested by various names: Vicus Piculus, Vicus Peculus, Vipegulus, Vulpeculus, then still a vicus, i.e. a roman village. Always the same period would be, in addition to the parish the castrum, the fortified village of which is still visible today part of the boundary wall (rebuilt in the XVI century). In the XII century becomes Vicus pecudis, village of sheep, and its fate bind to the town of Tortona, which assists during the siege of Federico Barbarossa in 1155. In 1347 Tortona passes under the Visconti of Milan that in 1412 grant Volpedo as a fief to the condottiere Perino Cameri. The latter in 1425 gives it to the factory of the Cathedral of Milan that allows the borgo considerable administrative autonomy. In 1513 the historic rivalry with the village of Monleale, on the left bank of the Curone, Ghibelline faction, and Volpedo, Guelfo, led to the destruction of the latter, including the walls of the castrum that were reconstructed from 1589 when Milan was under the Spanish domination. In 1738 Volpedo, together with all the Tortonese, passes under the Kingdom of Sardinia and is given by the Savoy family to the Marquis Filippo Guidobono Cavalchini of Momperone to then move in 1849 to the Malaspina.
The main monument of the country is the Romanesque church of San Pietro, which preserves interesting frescoes of the school of Tortona.
The painter Giuseppe Pellizza da Volpedo (1868-1907) he chose to live and work in the country in which it was born and as a sign of devotion to his land, to add to his signature "da Volpedo". At the end of the village, toward the cemetery, you find the birthplace and the study of Giuseppe Pellizza da Volpedo. In it are preserved work tools, personal objects, books and also some works of the artist.