Ultimo (Ulten in German, Òutem in ladin solandro) is located in South Tyrol, at the bottom of the Val d'Ultimo in the Stelvio National Park. The toponym is attested as Ultun in 1082-1098, as last in 1169-1172, as Ulten in 1208 and as Ultimis in 1230 and probably comes from the latin ultimus ("far").
The municipality of last was created in 1810 from the merger of the locality of Kuppelwies, Santa Gertrude, San Nicolò, San Pancrazio and Santa Valburga, and in 1950 the hamlet of San Pancrazio was separated, becoming again an autonomous municipality.
At Santa Gertrude (St. Gertraud), a fraction of the last, in the locality of Klapfberg there are three specimens of larches millennial considered as a fourth exemplary fell during a storm in the years 30 had about two thousand rings.
Its population is almost entirely of German mother tongue.