The village of Spello (Hispellum in Latin) is located at the foot of Mount Subasio, in Umbria. It was founded by the Umbrians, then pass under the control of the Romans. In the Longobard Age and franca became part of the dukedom of Spoleto, to pass then to the Papacy. The town however, mindful of prosperity and of the relative degree of autonomy enjoyed in roman times, he got a free municipality with its own laws. In 1516 the town was enfeoffed by the Pope to the Perugian family of the Baglioni which belonged until 1648.
There are numerous Roman remains incorporated in the structure of the village, including the walls and the ancient gates of access (as Le Torri di Properzio). Of great interest also the palaces of the Renaissance period and the Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Maggiore.
The ''Infiorate'' of Spello is held every year to coincide with the feast of Corpus Christi. This is a traditional event which consists in preparing carpets made with flowers or parts of them representatives figurations and ornamental motifs of liturgical.
Between the economic activity more traditional, widespread and active there are those crafts, such as the processing of flax, aimed at the production of canvases characterised by figures and themes taken from tradition.
In locality Fontevecchia are some sources of sulfurous water already known from the Middle Ages, today the seat of thermal establishments and facilities of receptivity.