Borghetto rises in the valley of the river Mincio, in Lombardy. The structure and the name of the village dates back to the Longobard period, the Germanic people who first built a fortified settlement near the ford of Mincio River. In the Middle Ages is reduced to a simple toll point, a feud of the abbey of San Zeno. In Scala era and then viscontea was at the center of the events that led to the construction of the various articles that surround it (the Visconti Bridge, the Scaligero Castle, the Seraglio). Dates back to this time its transformation into a fortified village, with two access doors and a polygonal circle of walls with towers surrounded by the pit Seriola (which draws water from the River Mincio).
In the XVII century was the theater of the passage of the French in the context of the War of the Spanish Succession. The 30 May 1796 Here you played a battle in which Napoleon defeated the Austrians guided by Beaulieu (the area of Borghetto was manned by Schottendorf with 7 battalions and 15 squadrons); on 6 August of the same year was the theater of a French shelling by Augerau and Serurier. In the nineteenth century Borghetto found himself involved in varying degrees in the wars of the Risorgimento period: 9 April 1848 there was a clash between Piedmont and the Austrians which withdrew failing the wooden bridge. Following the Second War of Independence Borghetto, located on the right bank of the river Mincio, was assigned to the Reign of Italy.
In 1954 in the vicinity of the wooden bridge on the River Mincio were filmed some scenes from the film Senso of Luchino Visconti.