The Village of Stintino (Isthintini in Sassari, Istintinu in Sardinian) on the last strip of land of Sardinia that from the plain of the Nurra extends toward the island of Asinara, in Sardinia. The coast toward the sea of Sardinia is called "sea of Out" and alternates cliffs and coves of sand and rocks at the end of small valleys, as Biggiu Marinu (i.e. "Bue Marino", the Sardinian name of monk seal), also known as the valley of the moon, Coscia di Donna and Cala del steam.
The origin of the village of Stintino is due to the decision of the Italian Government to establish on 22 June 1885 on the island of Asinara in Località Cala Reale, the first lazzaretto for sanitary use together a penal colony in the seaside resort of Cala Olive Oil. In that moment we counted on the island 54 families with about 500 people, half the pastors of Sardinian origin and the other half fishermen, both camoglini that ponzesi; of these residents to Cala d'Oliva were fishermen originating in Camogli, that had moved attracted by more economic opportunities and by the presence of the tunny-fishing of Saline; while the inhabitants of stoves and Cala Reale were pastors and Sardinian farmers. It is possible that both groups had already adopted the Sassarese, going to accentuate the influence ligure present from the beginning. Only 45 families left the Asinara to settle in costruenda Stintino in founding the "Communion of 45", the other overtook other shores. The master plan divided neatly a narrow peninsula between the two arms of the sea (now Porto Vecchio and Porto Nuovo/Porto Mannu), who took the name of isthintìnu sthintìnu or, by the term sassarese "intestine or casing", then italianized in Stintino.
Among the religious events, may takes place at a small country church, the Feast of Sant'Isidoro in Ercoli, and on 8 September the Madonna of Defense; the simulacrum of the saint patron of the village is transported from the boats of the fishermen of the Confraternity in a procession to the sea to recall the foundation of 1885.
Fishing is at the foundation of local cuisine, whose main specialities are Ricci and other seafood, shellfish and the tuna bottarga. Among the dishes potato soup and lobster with local fish, octopus in agliata, the octopus at stintinese i.e. an octopus salad with potatoes, vinegar, parsley and sometimes onion, and among the desserts tumbarella.
The port of Stintino still hosts numerous sailing boats Latin, that after the advent of motor boats have found new life in diportivo tourism and in sailing regattas.
The main tourist attraction is the beach of the Pelosa, located in the extreme edge north-west coast of Sardinia, and overlooking the Gulf of Asinara and on the homonymous island, is distinguished by a white sand and blue sea-turquoise from the seabed is very low. Immediately facing a second smaller beach called The Pelosetta is located the islet within walking distance of the aragonese tower, built from 1578 and call Pelosa Tower, and the Piana Island, belonging to the municipality of Porto Torres as the Isola Maggiore, which hosts a Spanish tower high 18 meters called Tower of Finance, built in the XVI century and restored in 1931. The Piana island was used in the past as pasture thanks to transhumance carried out on fishing boats; belonged to the family of Berlinguer and was ceded to the state to the condition that it was kept in its natural state. Other beaches on the eastern coast are those of the Salt Pans, Il Gabbiano, yet, Ezzi Mannu, Pazzona and Punta Negra. At about 3 km from the village there is the pond of Casaraccio, and about 15 km in the area of Sassari the pond of Pilo; both represent important reproductive reserves for the avifauna. In the territory of Stintino is present also the pond of the Salt Pans.
In June 2016 was inaugurated the Tonnara Museum (MUT), with relics, texts and images, tells the story of the Tonnara di Stintino but also of other tuna in the Mediterranean, in addition to presenting scientific studies on the typology of tuna caught in this area, the Thunnus thynnus.