Muggia (Milje Slovenian Muja, in dialect triestino muggesano dialect and in the Veneto region) is the borgo marinaro more to south of Friuli Venezia Giulia, at the northern end of the Istrian peninsula. Muggia lies, exposed to the north-east, on a promontory with a typical hilly landscape sloping down to the gulf of Trieste: from the western offshoots you can enjoy the show (which occurs in a few other places of the Italian State) of the sunset on the Adriatic Sea. The municipal territory muggesano stretches on the northern slope of the homonymous promontory, between the mountains of Muggia and waters of Vallone di Muggia that separates it from the town of Trieste. Is the last strip of Istria remained the Italian Republic after the Second World War and following the London Memorandum (1954), which was ratified by the Treaty of Osimo (1975).
Muggia rose fortified village protohistoric age (age of iron, VIII and VI century a.C.). After the beginning of the roman penetration in Friuli and the foundation of Aquileia in 181 a.C., the muggesano territory was conquered together with the rest of Istria with campaigns in 178-177 BC the Romans you put a camp in a high position, Muglae Castrum, to defend the streets of communication with the Cologne from the incursions of the istri. After the fall of the Roman Empire of the West, in Muggia is avvicendarono domination of Theodoric, the Longobards and the Byzantines and the Franks. In 931 it was donated by the king of Italy Ugo and Lotario to the patriarchate of Aquileia. In 1354 it suffered an attack by the Genoese and chose to continue in 1420 with the Republic of Venice. At the end of the XV century the village on the hill, today's Muggia Vecchia, gradually lost importance, with the transfer of most of the inhabitants on the shore of the sea, at the "Borgolauro", where it still is located downtown. After the end of the Republic of Venice (1797) and the brief interlude of the Italico Kingdom napoleonico (1805-1814), it passed under the rule of the Habsburg, under which developed a flourishing shipbuilding industry, continued until the crisis only in the second half of the twentieth century, following the mutated Italian post-war policy in regard to production strategies. After the closure of the Yard S.Rocco, where she was launched the first battleship in iron of Habsburg marina (with transfer of many workers to the Yard "San Marco" in Trieste), and the one called Felszegy, survived only small yard Matassi which ceased a full activity only in 1990. At the end of the nineteenth century the muglisano dialect, a Ladin language similar to friulano, became extinct. The testimonies of the last people who spoke the Muglisano were collected by the abbot Jacopo horses in 1889. The last of the "Muglisani" was Niccolò Bortoloni that was one of the sources, the most reliable, which drew the horses and who died at the beginning of 1898. It should be noted that for a long time before the extinction the muglisano had lived together with the current muggesano, dialect of type istro-veneto.
On the hill Muggia Old was made the archaeological park of Muggia Vecchia (Castrum Muglae), which houses the church dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption, the only building remained standing, and archeological remains of the medieval village. Legend has it that the town of Muggia Old ceased to be inhabited place, after its destruction by the Genoese and Paganino Doria in 1353. You also said that was destroyed, leaving in the foot the basilichetta from Trieste can in perennial fight against muggesani, because the salt pans. Before the current church there was a previous of VIII or IX century, of which there are some elements: the ambo, the lectern and two large and large pillars, to the right and to the left of the entrance, after remaking happened nelsecolo XIII. The remains of the medieval village were forgiven in light from the archaeological investigations: a stretch of road on which opened several distinct houses, on one side of the road leaning on the walls, a dwelling that preserves the ruins of the upper floor, accessible from an external staircase in masonry and presumably seat of the workshop of a blacksmith on the ground floor. The first nucleus of the castle of Muggia was a tower erected by the Patriarch of Aquileia Marquardo of Randeck in 1374, in the area called Borgolauro. Was then added a quadrilateral walls and towers to accommodate a garrison of soldiers, the construction of which lasted until 1399. The battlements of the tower are plans, i.e. of Guelph type. In 1701 he was initiated a first restoration project, curated by count Giovanni Polcenigo, which however was done only in 1735, following the thrust of the government of the Serenissima, in whose orbit Muggia gravitated. In the nineteenth century, the castle fell into a state of abandonment, in which he remained substantially since almost at the end of the second millennium, when the current owners they brought him back to the original splendour.