The name Erchie derives from the uncertain fact that in the past there was a temple dedicated to Hercules, even if you do not have reliable information about the existence of the village up to 979 d.c., when in the area was founded the Benedictine monastery of S. Maria de Erchi, at the behest of the doge amalfitano. The plundering of Saracen 1154 reduced to ruin the monastery and due to the continuous attacks by pirates and in 1451 was suppressed. The coast between Erchie and near Capo d'Orso was witness in 1528 of the naval battle between the French fleet headed by Filippono Genovese Doria and the Spanish guided by don Ugo di Moncada.
The heart of the village is the main beach, surrounded by rocky walls covered with lush Mediterranean vegetation, with small houses built on the slopes. Apart from the main beach which overlooks the town center the other beaches are accessible only via the sea and among these the beach of Cauco is the most coveted by the crystal clear water and the landscape.