Lanuvio has origins that date back to preroman times. today’s populated centre was built on the ancient city of Lanuvium yet information about its origins are not completly known. In 338 b.c., Lanuvio lost its independence but Rome granted preferential treatment and the civitas cum suffragio was offered in exchange for a share of the profits coming from the santuario di Giunone sospita of which we can still visit the remains on top of the town’s acropolis. In 1564 thanks to Sforza Cesarini family, the town underwent a period of calm and splendour. It also became more elegant thanks to the masterwork of Carlo Fontana,from the Bernini school, and to Tommaso Mattei, from the Borromini school, as well as the painter Giulio Romano, an apprentice of Raffaello Sanzio. it was almost completely destroyed during the second world war by air and sea bombings. the interesting local archaeological heritage includes not only the remains of the temple but also findings kept at the museo Civico lanuvino. lanuvio’s touristic offer is completed with a list of traditional and religious festivals.