The village of Atri is situated in the district of Terre del Cerrano, the so called Garden Coast, in Abruzzo. The capital of the Duchy, Atri represents one of the centers historically and artistically more significant in central-southern Italy. The village is situated on three hills (Maralto, Muralto and Colle di Mezzo) overlooking the Adriatic Sea, toward which fall, and majestic gullies. From the historic center of Atri in 10 minutes by car you can reach the beaches of sand of the district of Cerrano, where rises yet the sixteenth-century Tower of Cerrano, erected by order of Charles V in the area of the ancient Roman port of the atria. The coastal area is now protected marine area and in the waters in front of the Tower of Cerrano still lie the ruins of the port of the atria.
On the coins towns initialed HAT also appears the wolf or the wolf. Are the oldest existing in the world and were minted, according to many scholars, between the VII and VI centuries B.C. Atri had a flourishing commercial activity with the Etruscans, Umbrians and with Greece toward which exported wine and oil. Was part, with Ascoli Piceno and Ancona, of the people of the Piceni who formed the Italic League together with the vestini, interamnensi, Marrucini, frentani, Peligni, Marsians, cerecini, the Samnites, etc., all italic people, confederate against Rome. Its important port enabled her to boast a feared fleet and have commercial contacts flourishing with Greece, despite the ships were often attacked by pirates Illyrians. Become a latin colony in the 289 a.C., Hatria still continued to fly its currency. He distinguished himself in the battle by accumulating awards and privileges. In the imperial period the city continued to be an important center, gave origin to the family of the emperor Adriano, believed that his second homeland and in it he overlaid the charge of five years to life and curator muneris public. From the same family, italica, moved in Spain was also born the emperor Trajan, his kinsman. In the early Middle Ages because of the barbarian invasions and then Pirates Illyrians, Saracens, of Hungarians, etc. it was subject to a long period of decline and abandonment. Up to the end of the XIII century we have little news of the city that, under the Longobards, was part of the Duchy of Spoleto and in the XII century was feud of main accounts of Apruzio. In 1305 was completed the majestic cathedral, national monument, dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta and famous for its excellent cycle of frescoes of the abruzzese artist Andrea De Lithium. In 1393, the atria was sold for 35,000 ducats to the count of San Flaviano Antonio Acquaviva, that was the first of 19 Dukes, which from 1455 obtained for marriage the county of Conversano, and Atri became the capital of the duchy.
The historic center of Atri is rich of monuments, palaces, museums, characteristic alleys and squares. Each building, even the smallest, has a history of its own. The wealth and the importance of the monuments, the very well preserved historic center, ordered and rich in plants and flowers (many times awarded by Italia Nostra, which has its headquarters in the city) have meant that the Courts were to be proclaimed to all effects art cities.
Its fascinating historical center is a maze of narrow streets that have preserved the ancient medieval appearance in some points upset on the model of the roman city. The course Helium Adriano, for example, connects the two most important points of the city, Piazza del Duomo and Piazza Dukes Acquaviva (said Piazza del Comune, already Piazza Guglielmo Marconi), which in the Roman period were precisely the baths and the hole. Characteristic especially the Rione of Capo d'Atri, one of Santa Maria and San Giovanni (near Porta San Domenico), with tiny streets that sometimes permit the passage of one person at a time. The external architecture of the monuments remained in medieval prevalence, while the interior in the baroque has undergone many alterations, as happened to the churches of San Domenico and Santa Chiara. There are also many museums (well 6), which make it the city with the largest number of museums in the Abruzzi. The wealth of artistic and historical heritage in general cultural testimony of the great importance and great history that Atri has had in the past.
On the coast in front of Atri, near the so-called Tower of Cerrano, it is assumed that there are in the waters of the Adriatic sea, on a sandy seabed between 5 and 15 meters, the submerged ruins of the ancient port of Atri. Hypothetical remains of a pier in the shape of an "L", masonry, slabs in Istria stone, columns and various articles.
Many traditional events in the course of the year and the typical products that can be tasted in the territory and in the village. Among the most famous pecorino cheese of Atri, the arrosticini, honey, licorice, maccheroni with the crumb, oil and sweet Pan Ducale. Among the wines we remember the Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, the Trebbiano and Chardonnay.