The territory of the village of Radda in Chianti lies entirely in the Chianti Classico.
The area around the village is inhabited since 2000 B.C., as demonstrated by the archaeological area of Poggio La Croce where they emerged the remains of an ancient village. The fall of the Roman Empire, in the V century, in the area were already formed small clusters of rural character that still exist today; these villages were Castelvecchi, Monterinaldi, Volpaia and the same Radda. Between the IX and X century Radda saw the birth of the feudal society that led to the fortification of the villages. The first document certain where it mentions Radda is a diploma of 1002 in which the Emperor Otto III confirmed the donation made by the Countess Willa in favor of Badia Fiorentina. The locality Radda appears in many documents of the Badia Fiorentina until the XII century. In a document of Badia a Coltibuono of 1041 is reported Ramda judicaria fiorentina et fesulana. Administratively Radda was the Chief Town of the Chianti League, comprising the terzieri of Radda, Gaiole and Castellina. In the seventeenth century, terminated now conflicts, the castles were transformed into villas in which the owners were dedicated to the production of wine. Radda in Chianti was visited in 1773 by Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo, who found it far away from everything. As a consequence of the visit were improved roads but the territory of Radda always remained poor and isolated. This situation touched the culmination in the fifties of the twentieth century, when the depopulation of the countryside, a phenomenon common to many areas of Chianti, peaked. In the seventies he began the rediscovery of these places and slowly all the castles and villas and the individual farmhouses have been restored and there were implanted farmhouses and farms.
The village of Radda is enclosed within the walls partly preserved. The historic center has an urbanistic plant consisting of a main road, on which opens the piazzetta on that overlook both the Palazzo del Podestã that the parish church; from this main road depart other minor roads that compose a ring. Thanks to the fact that the urban planning of Radda has not known modifications in the course of the centuries its civil houses have maintained their medieval structures that have been reported to light only after the restorations carried out toward the end of the XX century. A building on the back of the Church bears the engraving on the facade the date 1479 ; in the village are also noteworthy the Palazzo Minucci and other palazzotti all made between the 17th-18th centuries. Inside the town are worth mentioning several places of interest. Radda in Chianti in the XV century had a considerable strategic importance; this led the Republic of Florence to equip the village of a defensive structure in masonry. A first circle of walls was made already in the XIV century but it was after the Aragonese wars that you potenziarono defensive structures, especially after 1478, when Radda was conquered and sacked. The work lasted until the first years of the Sixteenth Century. The walls remain today of short sections and some towers, the best preserved is the one that seems the public gardens. The trend of the walls today is not easy to follow because of construction and in the course of the centuries there were leaned but following the structure of the village you can guess the development of the walls; but they disappeared the two access gates.
The archaeological area of Poggio La Croce is located in the vicinity of the road that from Castellina in Chianti brings toward Radda in Chianti. The archaeological area is located on the summit of the aforesaid poggio. In this area was discovered an archaeological site with a plurality of layers which are found the most ancient human presence in the area of Chianti. The area was inhabited since the Bronze Age. In addition to that period have emerged testimonies of a village of shepherds referable to the end of the bronze age. In addition to the above the area was inhabited even in the era protovillanoviana (XI century BC ). Of this period have revealed the remains of two buildings but also the foundations of an access door to the village, a fortification and some remains of a wine press.