The first evidence of the existence of Coreglia Antelminelli in Garfagnana are found in a document of the Archiepiscopal Archive of Lucca of 1048 that attests to the ownership by the Ronaldinghi, Lombard lords of the Pieve di Loppia. The castle of time was smaller than at present, composed of a fortress and a small walls enclosing the other two towers. To the west the country was protected by a cliff, while the defense to the north was guaranteed by the fortress and the main tower. The side to the south-east was kept safe from a castle near, always Ronaldinghi, in the zone more downstream (Ansuco).
In the next two centuries, conflicts of the feudal lords of the area with the city of Lucca forced the Ronaldinghi to withdraw. The lands were inherited first by Bizzarri and then by the Antelminelli attuarono that changes to the internal structure of the country. The fortress was replaced with the church of San Michele and the tower leaned to it converted into a bell tower while was erected a new bobbin for defensive purposes. Furthermore, to allow quick movements and hidden to the eye the enemy in case of attack were built of underground tunnels.
Coreglia means "land of sliding, the place from which it passes" and derives from the latin Corrilia. Antelminelli was added in 1862 when, with the birth of the Italian State and the onset of homonyms, was born of the need to distinguish the town from what is today Coreglia Ligure.
The true excellence of the village of Coreglia resides in the crafts of the gypsum figurines. The practice to create figurines with the gypsum is disseminated to Coreglia between the XVI and the XVII century and represented the main occupation of the locals. When in the eighteenth century began the migrations of the coreglini toward all over the world, were many craftsmen who chose to leave in search of fortune. Some of them returned to his homeland, others like Sylvester Zefferino Poles, remained overseas.
In 1883, the baron and figurine maker and Carlo Vanni instituted in his palace of Coreglia a school to educate young people to the profession. When in 1915 he moved to Vienna, left the building as a dowry to the municipality. Given that the heirs of craftsmen, in the course of time, had donated to the town numerous prints and figurines, in 1975 the Municipal Administration decided to introduce the Museum of Plaster Figurines and Emigration.
The museum is divided into two sections: one is dedicated to the ancient production of statuettes of various kinds, including busts of famous inspired by the Greek and Roman sculptures; the other concerns the emigration of figurinai, with photos, passports, letters and other documents. In the complex are kept approximately 1300 articles. On 19 March 2005 the museum has been dedicated to Professor Guglielmo Lera, important figure of the sector cultural-historical Lucchese.
In addition to the Museum, certainly merit a visit The Tower of Castruccio Castracani, high approximately 25 meters and used for the sighting of enemies and as a defense, and frescoes by Paolo Maiani, which is located in the apse of the church of St. Lorenzo and Lazarus in plane of Coreglia and date back to 2001. There are two scenes, The Resurrection and Jesus walking on the water, respectively on the top and bottom.