The village of Castroreale rises on the Torace Hill, a relief of the north-western Peloritani mountains where, at the banks of the torrent Longano, Gerone II King of Syracuse defeated the Mamertines in 265 B.C.
A farmhouse called Cristina or Crizzina dating from the Norman-Swabian period constituted the original settlement of the city center. The first certain historical information are found in a diploma dated 1324 with which Frederick III of Aragon sort the reconstruction of a pre-existing (castle). The village that grew up around the fortress was renamed Castro (from the Latin Castrum = castle, fortress) and subsequently Castroreale (because the favorite residence of King Frederick III of Aragon) and always remained city demaniale increasing over the centuries its importance, economic prosperity and territorial extension also thanks to its strategic position it had both in the system of fortifications placed on the Tirrenian side in defense of Piana di Milazzo that in the system of the connections with the fortified centers of the Ionic coast, through the internal paths to the chain of the Peloritani mountains. The economy of the village of Castroreale contributed until the end of the XV century an active and large Jewish community of which the synagogue, enlarged in 1487, it remains only a moorish arc placed today behind the Monte di Pietã .
The urban fabric is of the medieval imprint with streets and alleys and steep, paved with a characteristic stone paving jacatu (in the local dialect), which open on squares-belvedere from which you can enjoy the many views that are spread out around the country.
Worth a visit the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, the Church of the Candelora and the Tower of Federico II.