Castelfranco di Sopra is the institutional center and historic Castelfranco Piandiscò. It is located at the foot of the Pratomagno, along the provincial road Setteponti. At the entrance of the village there is the beautiful tower of 1300, that together with the walls and to the architecture of the city was designed by Arnolfo di Cambio. Situated along the ancient route linking Arezzo with Fiesole, the territory on which today stands Castelfranco di Sopra was occupied in the pre-roman age by an Etruscan settlement. Passed under the control of Rome around the III century, the territory underwent an intense urbanization, fed by the construction of the via Consolare Cassia antica. The fall of the Roman Empire of the West the area came under the domination of the Lombards, as attested by the remains of Longobard structures recently discovered near the ancient Abbey of Soffena, datable around the 825. Founded in 1299 by the Florentine Republic, Castelfranco di Sopra was conceived as a military outpost in anti aretina, and as commercial hub for the terrestrial routes that linked to the territory of the Republic to the Arezzo area. To populate the "Terra Nova" (new land), the village has been temporarily exempted from payment of taxes, thus attracting him numerous commoners coming from neighboring communities. In the lap of a fifty years were built the walls, the piazza and the districts facing thereto. Passed in the nineteenth century under the administration of the Province of Arezzo, Castelfranco di Sopra suffered destruction of walls and the ancient Loggia of Arnolfo di Cambio, the Florentine architect who had managed the construction.