The village of Venzone, recreated entirely as it looked like in the Middle Ages after the earthquake in 1976, is a real fortified jewel between the mountain landscapes of Tagliamento and Canal del Ferro valleys in the Friuli-Venezia Giulia region. The small town, that you can find in part inside the Natural Park of the Julian Alps, rises at 230 metres of height and it is one of the most extraordinary examples of architectural and artistic restoration. Venzone owes its fortune to its position of inevitable passage towards north, a passage already known by the Celts in 500 B.C. and then turned into a statio by the Romans along the Via Julia Augusta road towards Austria. The name Venzone certainly comes from Venzonassa torrent and it was mentioned for the first time in 1001 in a discharge paper in which the Emperor Otto III was granting the grazing rights on the Canal del Ferro to the Patriarch of Aquileia. The fortifications, with an hexagonal plant and double city walls 8 metres high surrounded by a deep moat and a system of 15 towers, were built by Glizoio di Mels in 1258. During the centuries, Venzone changed hands various times, from the Austrians to the Republic of Venice, from Turkish people to the French ones, and again to the Austrians, until 1866 when, after the Third Italian War of Independence, the village became Italian. In 1965 the Ministry of Public Education proclaimed Venzone a national monument by recognising its historical-artistic importance, thanks also to the old age of great part of the buildings that weren't damaged during the two World Wars. In 1976 Venzone was almost completely razed to the ground by the earthquake that affected Friuli-Venezia Giulia but thanks to national and international assistance and to the tenacity of its inhabitants it was reconstructed and came back to its medieval splendour. Very important buildings are the Duomo di Venzone, dedicated to Sant'Andrea Apostolo, erected in 1308; the mummies, belonging to a period of time between the XIV and XIX century, which are now preserved in a building next to the Duomo, among which there is the one of the noble of Venzone Paolo Marpillero; the gates of the city walls; the Casa Marcurele, the most ancient building of the village erected in the XI century; the fourtheen-century Palazzo degli Scaglieri and Palazzo Zinutti, a building from 1700 embellished with an elegant gallery with a wrought iron parapet and a Baroque front door; Casa Calderari (XIV century) with a cozy quadrangle; the Gothic Palazzo Comunale of 1400; Palazzo Radiussi, noble residence characterised by a three-light window of gothic-venetian style from 1400 and a seventeenth-century portal; Palazzo Ornagni Martina, noble palace of the XVIII century which is now site of the main museums and temporary exhibitions; Palazzo Pozzo and the Church of San Giovanni Battista, erected in the XVI century, whose ruins show even now the violence of 1976 earthquake, which spared only the main facade. Venzone is a paradise for nature, hiking and mountain bike lovers thanks to its unique territory and the vastness of animal and vegetable species that live in the Natural Park of the Julian Prealps. In autumn, you cannot miss the Pumpkin Festival (on the fourth weekend of October), an historical commemoration that takes the village back in time to medieval age. Furthermore, Venzone was proclaimed "ideal village where to live in" by the European Community and the magazine Airone.