The name of Corinaldo (Curinald in Gallo-Piceno dialect) probably derives from "Curia di Rinaldo", ancient Langobard name that the first inhabited centre should have had during the Middle Ages. First of all a renowned wine-producing land (for its famous Verdicchio), it has well-maintained walls that date back to the XIV century. Its walls are recognized as the most intact, imposing, fortified and long (912 uninterrupted meters) of the Marche region and is one of the best preserved of all central Italy. Here Santa Maria Goretti was born. It rises on the top of a hill on the left bank of Nevola river. In all likelihood the village of Corinaldo rose at the beginning of the second millennium, as a result of the widespread phenomenon of the defensive works. Nestled between rivers Cesano and Misa, between March of Ancona and the State of Urbino, it appointed itself as a free municipality at the end of the XII century. For its strategic position, it soon became a sought-after outpost contended with the neighboring municipalities. Corinaldo was literally reconstructed from scratch in 1367, following the authorisation granted by Pope Urban V, with the current walls, where you can find fortifying elements attributed to the famous Senese military architect Francesco Di Giorgio Martini. The dethroned Duke of Urbino, Francesco Maria, attempted in 1517 to annex Corinaldo to his direct dominion. In that period one of the most beautiful and exciting historical pages of the hamlet of Corinaldo was written. After twenty days of siege Corinaldo people forced the duke to retreat and the Pope of the time, Leo X, for the loyalty shown, elevated Corinaldo to the rank of town. The Contesa del Pozzo della Polenta is the most ancient historical commemoration of the province of Ancona and recalls this important page in the history of Corinaldo. In 1600 Corinaldo refined its architectural forms and its tradition, by enriching itself with the work and the ingeniousness of valuable artists. Other things that were improved were monumental, religious and civic buildings still visible today and perfectly preserved, for example, among the others, the Chiesa del Suffragio with the characteristic octagonal plan, erected on the old fortified tower, the Chiesa dell'Addolorata, the Sant'Anna one (patron saint of Corinaldo) and the sanctuary that is now in the name of Santa Maria Goretti, who was born in this city on 16th October 1890.