Borghi magazine ~ the discovery of the fantastic world of italian medieval villages

© 2018 - All Rights Reserved.

What to see

Prior's Tower

Prior's Tower

  • Piazza Civetta, 11, Alberona (FG)

The Palace and the Tower of the Grand Prior of Alberona were built by the Templar Knights in the XII century and it was the residence of the Grand Prior of Barletta. In 1307, with the suppression of the Order, it became the seat of the Knights of Malta and remained so until 1809. The palace was comprised of a central body and two towers: a today still visible, the other incorporated on the ground floor and the first floor of the bell tower of the Church Mother. The palazzo, instead, is today almost completely destroyed. There remain only a few ruins and part of the dungeon.