Borghi magazine ~ the discovery of the fantastic world of italian medieval villages

© 2017 - All Rights Reserved.
Questo sito utilizza cookie. Cliccando su o proseguendo nella navigazione o effettuando lo scroll della pagina o altro tipo di interazione col sito, acconsenti all'utilizzo dei cookie.

What to see

The Church of San Michele

  • Largo San Francesco, 14, Alghero (SS)

the church of San Michele is one of the most significant examples in Sardinia of the baroque style. It is dedicated to the patron saint of Alghero. The first news of a building of worship dedicated to San Michele relate to the second half of the XIV century, and more precisely in 1364.

The facade of the building, rather simple, presents a socket of the ashlars square sandstone. Above the wooden portal stand out, enclosed in a frame of trachyte, two marble simulacra representing the Annunciation and a little higher, a high relief that symbolizes the Holy Spirit.

The interior of the church has a single nave covered by a barrel vault and divided by transverse arches that rest on Corinthian columns. On the sides there are six deep chapels (three per side). The archangel Michael, titular saint, is depicted on the altarpiece of the main altar and in a large wooden statue that portrays him while defeats Satan, place chained under his feet. In the chapel dedicated to the Madonna of the arrow is present a large painting dating back to 1652 and below it a niche with the statue of the Virgin of Valverde: The Sanctuary of Nostra Signora di Valverde, a few kilometers from Alghero, was originally dedicated to the Madonna of the arrow. In the left arm of the transept there is a chapel dedicated to St Ignatius of Loyola, portrayed is kidnapped in ecstasy in the painting with details very well cared for and light games. The monumental altar of the chapel was erected in 1678. In the right arm of the transept there is a chapel dedicated to Saint Francis Xavier.

The dome of the Church has become one of the symbols of Alghero. Has an octagonal plan set on a high drum governed by squinches, and is equipped with a lantern. Around 1950 the dome was coated externally with polychrome tiles realized on plan of Antonio Simon Mossa and Filippo Figari.






"Going around Italian villages" is a pleasure. Try!