The Archaelogical Museum and the Collegiate Church of the village of Casole d'Elsa, in Tuscany is the first among the museums of sacred art of the senese area.
On the first floor are kept works that bear witness to the ancient historical heritage of the territory of Casole d'Elsa. Among these stands out the Madonna col Bambino, dating back to the second decade of the fourteenth century. There are also a majesty of painter duccesca School known as Master of Monterotondo, active in the middle of the XIV century, a gradual et kyriale dated 1344 coming from the collegiate church of Casole, characterized by numerous initial figurate painted by Lippo Vanni. There is also a group of works dating back to the XV century. Among the works of that period the most significant are a triptych portraying the Madonna with Child, San Giuliano and San Donato Bishop, work attributed to a painter indicated as the first teacher of Lecceto (early XV century), the Madonna with Child and two angels, work by Domenico di Michelino, Madonna with Child and Four saints, Neri di Bicci. And finally an altarpiece depicting the Madonna with Child and Saints, above which is positioned a lunette depicting the Massacre of the innocents signed by Andrea di Niccolò and dated 1498. There are also kept here a table of half of the XVI century representing the visitation of Mary to St Elizabeth, work of Marco Bigio, a pupil of Sodom, the Mysteries of the Rosary work divided into fifteen squares made by Alessandro Casolani at the end of the XVI century. There are also two wooden headboards that originally formed a bier, typical furniture and ordinary in the Sienese area, with the painted facades by Bernardino Mei (XVII century), a pupil of Rutilio Manetti. The museum collects, hosted in large windows, sacred vestments, candlesticks, carteglorie, reliquaries and numerous monstrances of the XVIII and XIX centuries. The second floor is housed in a small archaeological museum that collects works etruscan mainly coming from the necropolis of rims: cinerary urns, funerary and artifacts in stone and bronze.
Contact The Archaeological and Sacred Art Museum
Fill out this form to contact this structure directly