Borghi magazine ~ the discovery of the fantastic world of italian medieval villages

© 2017 - All Rights Reserved.
Questo sito utilizza cookie. Cliccando su o proseguendo nella navigazione o effettuando lo scroll della pagina o altro tipo di interazione col sito, acconsenti all'utilizzo dei cookie.

What to see

The Church of Our Lady of the Greek

The Church of Our Lady of the Greek

  • Via Cavour, 183, Locorotondo (BA)
  • 0804313099
Is the oldest church in Locorotondo built two times. The first building dates back to the VII-VIII century, while the current one is of the XV century. The latter was built in 1480 on commission of Pirro Orsini del Balzo, Prince of Taranto, visiting Locorotondo. It was decided to edificarlo on site where there was already a cave with an image of the Madonna and still today you glimpse traces of primitive structure incorporated in the fifteenth century. Despite the different reconstructions that the church has suffered in the course of the centuries, still preserves a medieval plant in gothic style inside and a sober medieval essentiality outside. The Prospectus is bell-shaped with side slopes which mention the internal distribution of three naves. The facade is perforated by a rose window in stone built in the 20th century by master locorotondese, Domenico Rosato, on a drawing by Vito Giuseppe Curri. The rosette is a reproduction of the old medieval, destroyed. The top corners of the first riser of the facade are located the statues of Saints Peter and Paul, coming with every probability from the ancient Church Mother. In the past the church had to be frescoed and it bears witness to a fragment of fresco of the Madonna with Child on the wall of the right aisle. In excellent condition you retain some sculptural works, in local stone. On the main altar dominates the polyptych of the Madonna of the Roses with s. Lucia, s. Peter s. Paul and s. Oronzo, commissioned in the XVI century by Ottaviano Loffredo, lord of Locorotondo. Two other valuable works: the bas-relief of S. Giorgio (1559) at the bottom of the left aisle and the statue of a warrior kneeling with his hands joined, from the mysterious identity. For some it is Pirro Orsini del Balzo, for others, of Ottaviano Loffredo. The church can be visited in the following opening hours: 7,30-12,30 17,00-20,00.






Visit Locorotondo
What to see
"Going around Italian villages" is a pleasure. Try!