- Località Sant'Appiano, 28, Barberino Val d'Elsa (FI)
The Pieve of Sant'Appiano is dedicated to the saint to which is traditionally attributed to the evangelization of the Valdelsa. It is the only building in the Florentine countryside that preserves the ruins of a baptistery autonomous with respect to the church. Today the baptistery there are only four pillars, mindful of the central plan of the building. The pieve preserves traces of two construction phases: the archeggiature that divide the left aisle belong to the X-XI century, as the apse decorated with barrel vaults and the superelevation of the nave punctuated by small arches Lombardi; the archeggiature right were rebuilt in cooked after the collapse of the bell tower, which took place in 1171: the shapes are more slender, capitals are carved with stylised leaves and human faces rendered realistically. The parish church has a facade with highlights in which they are recognizable the different phases of romanesque: the most primitive, that of the late middle ages, is that constituted by facewalls realized with river stones mixed with sandstone, another step, dating back to the Romanesque period, is the one made with terracotta bricks arranged randomly but well profiles and knurled; at a third stage, much more recent are to be ascribed to the portal with the eardrum and the two portholes located in correspondence of the aisles. In rooms adjoining the church was formed a small Antiquarium, which acts as the archaeological museum. The piece is definitely more interesting is a pagan Idol (Eros astride a dog), in stone dating back to the II century A.D.