Situated right on the shore of the lake. It was built between 1808 and 1812 on a project by the architect Giocondo Albertolli for Francesco Melzi d'Eril, Vice President of the Cisalpine Republic, then Grand Chancellor of the Kingdom of Italy and collaborator of Napoleon. The Villa, of strict neoclassic lines, is surrounded by a beautiful park which constitutes the first example of an English garden in the area. The park was built between 1811 and 1815 by the architects Canonica and Villoresi that to increase the feeling of grandeur and exalt some prospects, realized works colossal leveling land or raising small packages. Also the distribution of vegetation, apparently natural, was the result of extensive studies to increase the optical illusion in terms of wallpapers and background. Among the plants that adorn the park there is a colossal cedar of Lebanon, camellias and azaleas, rhododendrons and many tropical plants. In the park were also transferred some colonnades and portals coming from the ancient Lazzaretto of Milan, built by Lazzaro Palazzi in the XV century. In Front Of The Kaffehaus, unusual kiosk of Moorish style, you will find the statue of Dante and Beatrice, work of the Comolli, which is believed to have inspired Liszt in the composition of the "Sonata a fantasy after reading Dante". Around an artificial lake, known as Japanese pond, grow maples, holm oaks and camellias, creating a collection of great suggestion. Among the illustrious guests of this villa remember Napoleon, Eugenio Beauharnais, Francis Joseph and Ferdinand of Austria, Umberto and Margherita of Savoy. The current owner is the Count Gallarati Scotti, a descendant of the Family Melzi. The park is open to visitors by the end of March to the end of October.
Contact Villa Melzi
Fill out this form to contact this structure directly